- Introduce a comprehensive strategy.
- Invest $25M for public education to reduce stigma.
- Invest $500M to support provinces & territories in providing evidence-based treatment.
- Support provinces & territories to create standards for substance use treatment programmes.
- Repeal relevant mandatory minimum penalties & require police & Crown to consider diverting people out of the criminal justice system.
- Declare a public health emergency.
- Work with all levels of government & health experts to decriminalise drug addiction & end stigma surrounding it.
- Work with the provinces & health professionals to create a safe supply of medically-regulated alternatives.
- Support overdose prevention sites.
- Expand access to treatment-on-demand.
- Launch an investigation into the role drug companies may have played.
- Declare the drug poisoning crisis a national public health emergency.
- Remove criminal penalties for personal possession & use of all drugs.
- Legislate the change rather than relying on informal or discretionary measures.
- Increase funding to community-based organisations to test drugs & support users.
- Implement a national education & distribution program for Naloxone.
- Ensure a safe supply.
Encourage employers to add mental health coverage to their employee benefit plans by offering a tax credit for 25% of the cost of additional mental health coverage for the first three years.
- Create a new federal money transfer to provinces & territories to assist in expanding high-quality, accessible, & free mental health services, with standards for timeliness, universality, & cultural competence.
- Invest $4.5B over 5 years in the new transfer.
- Fund a national, 3-digit mental health crisis & suicide prevention hot-line.
- Propose provinces partner with us to ensure an additional 1M people/year can receive mental health treatment.
- Provide $150M over 3 years in grants to non-profits & charities providing mental health & wellness programming.
- Create a nationwide three-digit suicide prevention hotline.
Work with the provinces & territories to implement a comprehensive approach to mental health services.
- Establish a national mental health strategy & a suicide prevention strategy.
- Negotiate the Canada Health Accord to prioritise expansion of mental health & rehabilitation services, & call for mental health services as medically necessary.
- Increase direct federal funding for community-based mental healthcare.
- Invest in community supportive housing.
Provide up to 5 new paid leave days for federally regulated employees who experience a miscarriage or stillbirth.
- Allow support parents who have experienced a miscarriage three days of paid bereavement leave.
- Ensure EI parental is extended for at least 8 weeks following the death of an infant.
- Provide up to 8 weeks of paid leave from employment after a child's death or stillbirth.
Expand parental leave to include leave following miscarriages.
- Provide specific funding for early mental health interventions.
- Launch a targeted strategy to ensure timely access to mental health services for young people & children.
- Provide funding for prevention, treatment, & research related to youth mental health.
- Call for a national study on the impact of phones & social media on mental health in adolescents.